If you are going to throw a BBQ party at home and you would like to try something new besides the traditional BBQ sauces, there are a list of Korean BBQ sauce recipe for your reference!
In following, I will show you how to make your own Korean BBQ sauce and the well-known sauces, ssamjang at home.
Ssamjang is a thick and light spicy paste always used in grilled meat. It goes perfectly with steam rice wrapped with lettuce leaf. The procedure is basically mixed with all the ingredients in a container and fermented for a week before it can be served.
- ¼ cup fermented soybean paste (doenjang)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Korean red chile paste (gochujang)
- 1 garlic clove, minced.
- 1 scallion, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey.
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame oil.
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients, adjusting the amount of chile paste to taste. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
The next Korean BBQ sauces I’m going to show is the sweet soy sauce for beef or pork ribs.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha®) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Stir soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, chile-garlic sauce, ginger, sesame oil, and black pepper together in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Whisk cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until the cornstarch dissolves; pour into boiling soy sauce mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce is thick, 3 to 5 minutes.
This is one of the BBQ sauces for pork ribs. Most of the meats in Korean BBQ are marinated with similar ingredients and all the ingredients are so easy to get in any supermarket!